Tuesday, September 4, 2007

intro lesson, and teacher miscommunications

Intro lesson:
so at the end of every lesson i've started this thing where my 1st and 2nd graders line up and MUST say one COMPLETE sentence in english from our lesson before they are allowed to leave the classroom. this week is my first so we did an intro lesson practicing the phrases "My name is/I am x years old/My favorite color is .../I like to (verb)"

2nd grade boy: My name piano.

the adorable thing is i could see him mouthing/practicing this phrase over and over again whilst in line, waiting his turn. his dedication to the task was impressive. (A FOR EFFORT)

Teacher miscommunication:
there is this korean teacher, i wrote about him on my blog, who alwys insists on using the WORST english in the world to talk to me ... and i was suppsoed to help him reserach something on the internet and he was supposed to meet me in my classroom at 1pm and i messaged him on Cool Messenger around 12:30 to remind him of 1pm appt. and said "i look forward to seeing you" and i came back from lunch and this message on my door.

"I have gone here. Because of massage. But I come here. no person. I go my classroom. Give me massage"

i was SOOOO confused. i thought he meant he LEFT here because he was getting a massage. and i was sooooo confused .... then i figured it out a little ... and sent him a mEssage ... and he came and we worked out that he came early due to misunderstanding "looking forward" - he thought it meant we're pushing the meeting time up earlier.

cheers. i'm sure my 1st graders will have some good ones tomorrow

No comments: